Close Menu
BmoreNews.com
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Editorial/Op-Ed
  • The Glover Report
  • Black Wall Street
  • Video
  • More
    • BEOs
    • HBCU
    • Africa/Caribbean
Trending
HONOREE: Commissioner Leonard Hamm. Black Wall Street Presents: Benedetto Haberdashery — 25 Years of Excellence

HONOREE: Commissioner Leonard Hamm. Black Wall Street Presents: Benedetto Haberdashery — 25 Years of Excellence

County Executive Election 2026: African American Voice Matters

County Executive Election 2026: African American Voice Matters

Internationally Trained Culinary Professional to Be Honored at Black Wall Street Southern Maryland

Internationally Trained Culinary Professional to Be Honored at Black Wall Street Southern Maryland

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube
BmoreNews.com
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Editorial/Op-Ed
  • The Glover Report
  • Black Wall Street
  • Video
  • More
    • BEOs
    • HBCU
    • Africa/Caribbean
Newsletter
BmoreNews.com
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Editorial/Op-Ed
  • The Glover Report
  • Black Wall Street
  • Video
Home » 9/11 Families Call on Trump to Cancel Saudi-Backed Golf Event
Politics

9/11 Families Call on Trump to Cancel Saudi-Backed Golf Event

Doni GloverBy Doni GloverJuly 18, 20221 ViewsNo Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
9/11 Families Call on Trump to Cancel Saudi-Backed Golf Event

Relatives of people killed on Sept. 11 are urging former President Donald J. Trump to cancel a Saudi-backed golf tournament set to be held this month at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster in New Jersey.

In a letter dated Sunday, members of the group 9/11 Justice asked to meet with Mr. Trump and urged him not to host the event, set for July 29 to 31, noting that Mr. Trump has blamed Saudi Arabia for the attack.

“We simply cannot understand how you could agree to accept money from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s golf league to host their tournament at your golf course, and to do so in the shadows of ground zero in New Jersey, which lost over 700 residents during the attacks,” they wrote in the letter.

“It is incomprehensible to us that a former president of the United States would cast our loved ones aside for personal financial gain,” they wrote to Mr. Trump, who is expected to run for president again in 2024. “We hope you will reconsider your business relationship with the Saudi golf league and will agree to meet with us.”

In the letter, the group noted that Mr. Trump told Fox News in February 2016: “Who blew up the World Trade Center? It wasn’t the Iraqis. It was Saudi. Take a look at Saudi Arabia.” He went on to say: “The people came, most of the people came from Saudi Arabia. They didn’t come from Iraq.”

On Sunday night, Brett Eagleson, the president of 9/11 Justice, said he emailed the letter to a Trump aide in the afternoon and had not received a response.

Mr. Eagleson, who was 15 when his father died on Sept. 11, said the stakes here were clear. It is “allowing the Saudis to literally get away with murder if this golf tournament is allowed to proceed,” he said in an interview.

“It just sends a message that with the right amount of money, you can make people forget about anything,” he said, adding, “If anyone knows the extent of the Saudi role in 9/11, it’s Trump.”

Messages left at Mr. Trump’s club in Bedminster, and with a spokesman for Mr. Trump, were also not immediately answered.

The Saudi-sponsored golf league is part of a campaign by the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, to refresh the kingdom’s image in the eyes of the world.

The man who defeated Mr. Trump in 2020, President Biden, has recently faced criticism for his own connection to Saudi Arabia. Last week during a Middle East trip, Mr. Biden fist-bumped Prince Mohammed, who was judged responsible by the C.I.A. for the 2018 killing of the Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Mr. Biden said he confronted Prince Mohammed about the killing during a closed-door meeting with him; Saudi officials contradicted his account.

Source: NY Times

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Copy Link
Previous ArticleLondoners take the heat in stride.
Next Article Goldman Sachs Beats Rivals, Benefiting From Volatile Markets

Keep Reading

SUPPORT HER. SHARE THIS. LET’S GO.
February 14, 2026

SUPPORT HER. SHARE THIS. LET’S GO.

By Doni Glover
Governor Wes Moore’s FY 2027 Budget: What You Need to Know
February 1, 2026

Governor Wes Moore’s FY 2027 Budget: What You Need to Know

By Staff Reporter
TGR: Black Leaders Must Back Julian Jones to Honor Damon Hughes’ Legacy
January 26, 2026

TGR: Black Leaders Must Back Julian Jones to Honor Damon Hughes’ Legacy

By Doni Glover
96 White House Videos You Can Watch Right Now on YouTube
January 20, 2026

96 White House Videos You Can Watch Right Now on YouTube

By Staff Reporter
Julian Jones Makes His Case: Westside Fundraiser Signals Strong Start for Historic County Executive Bid
January 17, 2026

Julian Jones Makes His Case: Westside Fundraiser Signals Strong Start for Historic County Executive Bid

By Staff Reporter
The Death of Baltimore Collegiate: How Black Leadership Failed Black Boys
January 17, 2026

The Death of Baltimore Collegiate: How Black Leadership Failed Black Boys

By Doni Glover
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News
County Executive Election 2026: African American Voice Matters

County Executive Election 2026: African American Voice Matters

Internationally Trained Culinary Professional to Be Honored at Black Wall Street Southern Maryland

Internationally Trained Culinary Professional to Be Honored at Black Wall Street Southern Maryland

Trailblazing Leader Kathy Guzman to Be Honored at Black Wall Street SOUTHERN MARYLAND

Trailblazing Leader Kathy Guzman to Be Honored at Black Wall Street SOUTHERN MARYLAND

Black Wall Street BENDETTO Event. Eleven Honorees. One Night. One Baltimore.

Black Wall Street BENDETTO Event. Eleven Honorees. One Night. One Baltimore.

Trending News
With an Open Hand

With an Open Hand

February 17, 2026
Black Wall Street BENEDETTO Event to Honor Financial Powerhouse Arnold Williams, 2.26.26

Black Wall Street BENEDETTO Event to Honor Financial Powerhouse Arnold Williams, 2.26.26

February 17, 2026
Bishop Dr. Frank A. Clinton: From Saint Inigoes to the Frontlines of Small Business Empowerment

Bishop Dr. Frank A. Clinton: From Saint Inigoes to the Frontlines of Small Business Empowerment

February 16, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Baltimore news and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube
2026 © BmoreNews.com. All Rights Reserved.
  • Doni Glover
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.