Close Menu
BmoreNews.com
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Editorial/Op-Ed
  • The Glover Report
  • Black Wall Street
  • Video
  • More
    • BEOs
    • HBCU
    • Africa/Caribbean
Trending
At Nearly 60, I Went Back to School Again — And the University of Maryland Changed My Life

At Nearly 60, I Went Back to School Again — And the University of Maryland Changed My Life

Raising Braves | The Indigenous Series | The Doni Glover Show

Raising Braves | The Indigenous Series | The Doni Glover Show

CHEZIA CAGER FOR HOUSE OF DELEGATES: Public Safety Crisis, Carjacking & Shooting Shocks Community

CHEZIA CAGER FOR HOUSE OF DELEGATES: Public Safety Crisis, Carjacking & Shooting Shocks Community

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact
Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube
BmoreNews.com
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Editorial/Op-Ed
  • The Glover Report
  • Black Wall Street
  • Video
  • More
    • BEOs
    • HBCU
    • Africa/Caribbean
Newsletter
BmoreNews.com
  • News
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Editorial/Op-Ed
  • The Glover Report
  • Black Wall Street
  • Video
Home » 9/11 Families Call on Trump to Cancel Saudi-Backed Golf Event
Politics

9/11 Families Call on Trump to Cancel Saudi-Backed Golf Event

Doni GloverBy Doni GloverJuly 18, 20221 ViewsNo Comments3 Mins Read
Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Copy Link
Follow Us
Google News Flipboard
9/11 Families Call on Trump to Cancel Saudi-Backed Golf Event

Relatives of people killed on Sept. 11 are urging former President Donald J. Trump to cancel a Saudi-backed golf tournament set to be held this month at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster in New Jersey.

In a letter dated Sunday, members of the group 9/11 Justice asked to meet with Mr. Trump and urged him not to host the event, set for July 29 to 31, noting that Mr. Trump has blamed Saudi Arabia for the attack.

“We simply cannot understand how you could agree to accept money from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s golf league to host their tournament at your golf course, and to do so in the shadows of ground zero in New Jersey, which lost over 700 residents during the attacks,” they wrote in the letter.

“It is incomprehensible to us that a former president of the United States would cast our loved ones aside for personal financial gain,” they wrote to Mr. Trump, who is expected to run for president again in 2024. “We hope you will reconsider your business relationship with the Saudi golf league and will agree to meet with us.”

In the letter, the group noted that Mr. Trump told Fox News in February 2016: “Who blew up the World Trade Center? It wasn’t the Iraqis. It was Saudi. Take a look at Saudi Arabia.” He went on to say: “The people came, most of the people came from Saudi Arabia. They didn’t come from Iraq.”

On Sunday night, Brett Eagleson, the president of 9/11 Justice, said he emailed the letter to a Trump aide in the afternoon and had not received a response.

Mr. Eagleson, who was 15 when his father died on Sept. 11, said the stakes here were clear. It is “allowing the Saudis to literally get away with murder if this golf tournament is allowed to proceed,” he said in an interview.

“It just sends a message that with the right amount of money, you can make people forget about anything,” he said, adding, “If anyone knows the extent of the Saudi role in 9/11, it’s Trump.”

Messages left at Mr. Trump’s club in Bedminster, and with a spokesman for Mr. Trump, were also not immediately answered.

The Saudi-sponsored golf league is part of a campaign by the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, to refresh the kingdom’s image in the eyes of the world.

The man who defeated Mr. Trump in 2020, President Biden, has recently faced criticism for his own connection to Saudi Arabia. Last week during a Middle East trip, Mr. Biden fist-bumped Prince Mohammed, who was judged responsible by the C.I.A. for the 2018 killing of the Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Mr. Biden said he confronted Prince Mohammed about the killing during a closed-door meeting with him; Saudi officials contradicted his account.

Source: NY Times

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Copy Link
Previous ArticleLondoners take the heat in stride.
Next Article Goldman Sachs Beats Rivals, Benefiting From Volatile Markets

Keep Reading

Chaos or Community: BMORENews.com Hosts High-Stakes Political Conversation at Thurgood Marshall Amenity Center
May 17, 2026

Chaos or Community: BMORENews.com Hosts High-Stakes Political Conversation at Thurgood Marshall Amenity Center

By Doni Glover
Congressman Kweisi Mfume Endorses Julian E. Jones for Baltimore County Executive
May 14, 2026

Congressman Kweisi Mfume Endorses Julian E. Jones for Baltimore County Executive

By Doni Glover
Experience, Endorsements, and Momentum: Julian Jones Builds a Powerful Coalition in Baltimore County Executive Race
May 11, 2026

Experience, Endorsements, and Momentum: Julian Jones Builds a Powerful Coalition in Baltimore County Executive Race

By Doni Glover
West Baltimore Celebrates Opening of Parkview Recreation Center as Senator Antonio Hayes Leads Penn-North Revitalization
May 7, 2026

West Baltimore Celebrates Opening of Parkview Recreation Center as Senator Antonio Hayes Leads Penn-North Revitalization

By Doni Glover
Rowena Nelson Makes the Case for Discipline, Respect, and Clarity on the Bench in Anne Arundel County
May 5, 2026

Rowena Nelson Makes the Case for Discipline, Respect, and Clarity on the Bench in Anne Arundel County

By Doni Glover
Julian Jones Gains Momentum as Adrienne Jones and Cheryl Pasteur Show Support
May 3, 2026

Julian Jones Gains Momentum as Adrienne Jones and Cheryl Pasteur Show Support

By Doni Glover
Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Latest News
Raising Braves | The Indigenous Series | The Doni Glover Show

Raising Braves | The Indigenous Series | The Doni Glover Show

CHEZIA CAGER FOR HOUSE OF DELEGATES: Public Safety Crisis, Carjacking & Shooting Shocks Community

CHEZIA CAGER FOR HOUSE OF DELEGATES: Public Safety Crisis, Carjacking & Shooting Shocks Community

Baseball’s ‘Country Club’ Problem: Pricing Out Black Players

Baseball’s ‘Country Club’ Problem: Pricing Out Black Players

OP-ED: Redevelopment Without Respect Is Not Revitalization

OP-ED: Redevelopment Without Respect Is Not Revitalization

Trending News
Chaos or Community: BMORENews.com Hosts High-Stakes Political Conversation at Thurgood Marshall Amenity Center

Chaos or Community: BMORENews.com Hosts High-Stakes Political Conversation at Thurgood Marshall Amenity Center

May 17, 2026
“Leave Black People Alone”

“Leave Black People Alone”

May 17, 2026
The 41st District Deserves Better

The 41st District Deserves Better

May 17, 2026

Subscribe to News

Get the latest Baltimore news and updates directly to your inbox.

Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube
2026 © BmoreNews.com. All Rights Reserved.
  • Doni Glover
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms
  • Contact

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.